Apokoronas is a region which extends to the northeastern part
of the prefecture of Chania, by the
foothills of the White Mountains to the north coast of Crete.
It is characterized by the green hills and the fertile tracts
of land, due to the abundance of water coming from the
mountains, creating the only natural lake of Crete, as well as
rivers which run through the region, before finding
their way out to the sea.
If you are on holidays in Chania or in another nearby area,
explore the Apokoronas region and discover its beauties. Visit
its seaside resorts, as well as the picturesque traditional
villages and settlements.
Below you will see some of the places and sights worth
The three Beach Resorts of Apokoronas
Armeni village 4
- Armeni village is an ideal place for launch or coffee
under the shade of high plane trees and by the waters that
gush from the springs of the village and create Xydas river
stream that flows to the beach of Kalives.
Stilos village 5
- In Stilos there are also taverns by the village springs,
of which the waters form the river of Kiliaris that flows to the
beach of Kyani Akti.
- In the north exit of Stilos, just opposite the water
bottling plant, you can find the old two-aisled church
dedicated to St. John the Theologian and to St. Nicholas,
dating from the 13th century AD to the 15th century AD, with
frescoes of this period.
- In the yard of the church is placed a piece of limestone
on which there is a prehistoric fossil skeleton that is
believed to be a fossilized
- A little further, north of Stilos and between the citrus
orchards, lies another old church. The impressive church of
the Virgin Mary the Serviotissa, dating to the 12th century
- For nature lovers, this area is lovely for
a nature walk
along the Kiliaris river. If you try it, you'll also see a
watermill built on the river, which is dated to the years of
the Venetian rule in Crete.
- In the same area, the site of "Platanakia" where is
located the chapel of St. John... Just beautiful!
that this is the location of the city of Aptera of the
View all the sites mentioned above, plotted on the map of the area of Stilos village.
Kokkino Chorio 6
- Just outside the village towards south, you can visit a
glassblowing factory that recycles the glass and turns it
into piece of art.
View the sites plotted on the
map of the area of Kokkino Chorio.
Gavalochori village 7
- In Gavalochori's square, it is worth visiting the
women's cooperative where you will see lace created using an
old hand-knitting art known as "Kopaneli" which is dating
back to the Byzantine times.
- Furthermore, the historical
Folklore Museum of Gavalochori housed in a building of
local traditional architecture, is just a few minutes walk
away from the square.
- Finally, 1 km south of the village is located a park
where there are scattered 24 arched stone-built wells.
- Ombrosgialos is the
naming of a seaside place located on the eastern coast of Cape Drapano.
If you like what you see, visit Ombrosgialos for swimming in its crystal-clear
waters, and then sit for lunch by the sea.
Vamos village 9
- Vamos village is another traditional village of Apokoronas region. Many of is houses have been refubrished retaining their main folk and neoclassical architecture elements. More about Vamos village.
- Less than 3 km south of Vamos, at the location of Karidi which was feud and residence of the Venetian ruler of the region, is located the only Monastery of Apokoronas region.
The Karidi Monastery, as briefly referred the
monastery of St. George of Karidi, is a complex of
traditional architecture that it was restored and it has
been in use since 1996.
The large mill with its
impressive 12 arches that supported the roof, is showing the
vast olive oil production of the monastery during the
Ottoman Turkish rule in Crete.
Vrisses village 10
- In the village of Vrisses you'll find another oasis with
trees and running water. The whole place is full of cafes
Lake Kournas 11
- Kournas lake which is the only natural lake in Crete, is
also located in Apokoronas region, just a few kilometers
south of Georgioupolis beach resort, and is one of the major
sights of Crete showing the natural beauty of the island. More about Kournas lake.