Souda Bay (or Suda Bay) is located in western Crete, 6 km east from the city of Chania and south of the Akrotiri peninsula.
The north coast within the Bay is prohibited to be approached by ships and boats, because is a military territory of the Greek and NATO naval bases.
At the southwestern part of the bay is located the port, which is the main passenger and commercial port of the prefecture of Chania and of the western Crete, since the early of 20th century when the old harbor of Chania stopped to be used as a port.
If you come in Chania by ferry, will be debarked at the port
Souda port has year-round, direct ferry connections with the port of Piraeus, which is the main port for Athens, the capital of Greece.
During summer, besides the nightly schedule ferry, a daily ferry is being added, in order to serve the high demand during the season.
The ferry companies operating the route Piraeus (Athens) - Souda (Chania) may change from year to year.
Suda Bay has always been a large natural harbor and a strategic point of the eastern Mediterranean Sea, through the centuries, whether for commercial or military purposes.
Therefore, most of the attractions located near Suda Bay, are directly related to the natural harbor.
Archaeological site of Aptera is the location of one of the most important ancient city-states of Crete.
Although Aptera was built on a hill south of the bay, it had two seaports on
both sides of the entrance into the Souda bay, ensuring the trade trafficking
During the Venetian rule in Crete, because of the looming threat of the Turks, Venetians had to protect all the strategic places on the island of Crete.
Therefore, in 1583, the fortress of Fortezza was built to protect the entrance into the natural harbor of western Crete, Suda Bay.
This fortress was built in 1867, at the northern part on
the hill of Aptera, by the Turks conquerors of Crete, in the
context of a general fort construction planning at strategic
locations on the island, in order to fight the
revolutions of the Cretans.
It was built in 1870 by the Turks to protect the entrance
of Suda bay.
In later years, since 1900 until the period of the
dictatorship in Greece, was used as a prison for political
prisoners, prisoners of the common criminal law and those
sentenced to death.
On the western shore of Souda Bay lie the graves of officers and soldiers of the Allied forces, who fell on the battlefield during the World War II in Crete.